Re: Spitfire 1500 rear suspension fitted to Mk. 1 Spitfire?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 rear suspension fitted to Mk. 1 Spitfire?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:11:43 -0800
Creig Houghtaling writes:
          <   snip   >
> I am in the process of retrofitting a refurbished 1500 rear suspension
> into my Mk. I (63) Spitfire.  My concern is since the later suspension is
> slightly wider, are the trailing arms going to fit correctly.  Or is this
> going to change the rear alignment?
No, and yes.  The trailing arms from the 1500 must be used (longer) and the
piviot brackets that attach to the body tub from the 1500 must be used.
They have a different angle than the 1300 MK4 brackets.  Also your flexible
brake lines will have to be replaced with a longer, not 1500, brake lines.
Any good auto parts store will list them by length, just get lines with the
same fitting at each end but an inch longer than the ones you have.  The
1500 mount the steel lines in a different location and don't simply use
longer lines (don't ask me why!)  I found out the hard way when I did the
same thing on my MK4, and tried to use the 1500 flexible lines -
About body clearance, I should think with stock or slightly larger tires you
shouldn't have a problem, but am not sure.  I will be attempting the same
thing on the 70 project so let me know what you find out!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)