TR4A cam timing question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4A cam timing question
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:04:09 -0500 (EST)
I decided to reuse the timing gears from my old engine.  I set them up on
the crank and the reground cam according to the instructions in the Haynes
manual.  I finally noticed the tiny scratch mark put on the crankshaft
gear so I know I have things as they came from the factory.  Still, I
decided to check the timing as outlined in British Car magazine, Aug/Sept
1996.

I found the valves opening and closing at the expected times (17/57/57/17)
except not when the dial indicator above the pushrod hit .004 or .006 (the
measurements I thought I was supposed to look for).  The timing measures
correctly if I count the valves open or closed when the dial reads .010.
Do I have a problem here?

John Paul Middlesworth