Re: Spitfire Buzz

To: Terry Thompson <tlt@digex.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Buzz
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:07:32 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Terry Thompson wrote:

> My car runs really well but around 3000 RPM I get a vibration coming from
> the engine, like the agitation in an electric shaver (A pretty loud BUZZ).
> I can hear it and I can feel it through the gas pedal.  If I rev it over
> ~3k rpm or drop below that ~3k rpm mark, it goes away.  It doesn't matter
> what gear I'm in or what surface I'm currently driving on.
> The only thing I do now is try to keep the revs below or above that 3k mark.
>
> If anyone has a clue what could be causing it, or how to remedy it, let me
> know.   It's starting to bug me.
>
> -Terry
> '76 Spit

Check all accessory mountings, belts, and pulleys for looseness.  Check
the fan, could anything be coming in contact with the blades?  Does it
vibrate while in neutral and car not moving w/the engine revving to 3K?
Does the buzz sound seem to eminate from the engine compartment or the
the tranny tunnel?  Could be the alternator as suggested earlier, but
there is really not enough info to go on, and too many places to check
for looseness or wear.  Has this vibration/buzz just started?  Had it
awhile?  Had it awhile, but not as bad and got worse?

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - waiting for a main harness - FM66513UO
62 Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - waiting for restoration - HB5635LCV
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073