RE: Spitfire Buzz

To: "Terry Thompson" <tlt@digex.net> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Spitfire Buzz
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 26 Mar 1997 10:25:44 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0562033396A281C6-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 26 Mar 1997 10:25:44 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 26 Mar 1997 10:25:44 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0562033396A281C6*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Terry Thompson wrote:
My car runs really well but around 3000 RPM I get a vibration coming from
the engine, like the agitation in an electric shaver (A pretty loud BUZZ). I
can hear it and I can feel it through the gas pedal.  If I rev it over ~3k
rpm or drop below that ~3k rpm mark, it goes away.  It doesn't matter what
gear I'm in or what surface I'm currently driving on.
The only thing I do now is try to keep the revs below or above that 3k mark.
Terry - my 64 Spit does the same thing at about 60 MPH.  It could be any
number of loose parts, such as the splash panels, the fan blade, an out of
balance drive shaft (only if noticed while moving like mine), a radiator
support bracket, the horn brackets, etc.  Try having a friend rev the engine
to 3000 rpm with the hood open while you stick yer head under and try to
find the source.  Sounds like a typical harmonic vibration problem to me.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe