Re: Alternators/TR4A

To: adam wahler <adamw@a2a.com>
Subject: Re: Alternators/TR4A
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:04:14 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, adam wahler wrote:

> I added an alternator to my 1967 TR4A from a BMW 325. It worked, however,
> since I am finishing a rebuild, I want to address the pulley/fan belt
> dilemma.
>
> The original pulleys for the car are for 3/4" belts, while the alternator
>pulley
> is 3/8". While it works, I want to make it all consistant.
>
> Any alternator conversions you can recommend would be appreciated.

        One alternator conversion is the one the late Bob Schaller
        suggested in his pamphlet "MORE BS ABOUT TRS"... His switch was to
        use a Ford alternator with external volttage regulator. I've got
        this solution installed on my TR4. Bob's suggestion is to use the
        stock pulley from the Lucas generator on the new alternator (TR3s
        & `4s have rather massive fan belts). The only other mods were to cut
        and reweld the upper generator bracket and to make a spacer four the
        lower bracket... oh yes, the body of the alternator needed some
        machining too the total bill for everything including the purchase of
        the alternator and voltage regulator (and acouple of other bits) was
        under $100...

        Works like a charm...

        Other solutions would be to use a Lucas or GM alternator

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois