Re: Alternators/TR4A

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Alternators/TR4A
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:06:41 -0600

>  Also, check out some JApanese cars at a wrecking yard. Some of them
> have alternators the size of a grapefruit!

You might wish to pass up the lovely Nippondenso if you don't want to
have it rebuilt often ($180 was the best I found at NAPA, etc. until I
found a local wholesale rebuilder to do it for $125), and you _cannot_
buy parts (diodes, brushes, rotor if necessary, etc.) to do it
yourself.  At least the 120 amp model (that the book says actually puts
out 95 amps) used on the Mitsubishi 3.0 liter is no reliability champ.
OTOH, the GM ones are very common, inexpensive to buy or rebuild, and
parts are readily available to DIY.

-Karl