Re: Best Cars for Knocking Boots In

To: Hugh R McAleer <vitesse@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Best Cars for Knocking Boots In
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:01:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hugh R McAleer wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:13:03 -0500 Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
> writes:
>
> >  Back in my more flexible days, I used my '79 Spit  for just such
> >occasions.  Ah, those reclining seats, sigh.  But when I borrowed my
> >parents Caravan one night, the seeds of my destuction were planted,
> >(pun intended) and now that's all the wife wants. "Honey, with a Car-
> >van, I can get to the back seat while we're still on the road, moving.
> >I can see better, farther." And "Just think of the money you'll save
> >from not buying TR parts. It'll practally pay for itself"
>
> AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! You guys are really scaring the cr*p outta me!!!
> That statement ( saving money from not buying parts ) I gotta get this
> thing erased before Kathy sees it!

[A parenthetical editor's note:  for all of you unfamiliar with Mr.
McAleer's avowed hatred of minivans, there was an exchange on the FIDO
Brit_Car echo a couple of years ago in which Hugh said, and I
paraphrase, "they're the worst things on the road! Every time I see one
at an intersection, I want to smash into them--on the driver's side!"
And then Hugh expressed some chagrin that he might get that urge while
in a Triumph, and whatever could he do about it. I suggested that he buy
a `77 Dodge Aspen for Saturday afternoon drives when all the minivans
were being driven to somewhere for purposes of shopping, because it was
a clunker, and he would likely not kill anyone, since the Aspen had
profound tendency to hot stalling, especially at intersections. <big
grin>]

> definitely here to stay.  Mini vans....It scare the **** outta me every
> time she even talks to somebody with one...I keep hoping that just once
> someone will say that it is the worst thing they ever had.

As one can see, the news that a minivan can outdrag his TR250 in the 1/4
mile has not settled well with Mr. McAleer. <g>

> Oh well, at least she rarely reads these posts so I'm probably safe for
> awhile.

One can hear the sigh of relief from here, Hugh. <g>

Now, on the matter of the original subject line (Knocking Boots...), I
cannot swear to have ever worn boots while so doing, but there was a
time before the then-wife and I were married that we had a go in the
back seat of her MG 1100 sedan. Since I'm 6'4" and about 220 lbs, it was
not easy, but far preferable to an attempt in my `63 Spit--at least with
the top up. <g>
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....