RE: Spitfire Purchase

To: "'transerv@sprynet.com'" <transerv@sprynet.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Purchase
From: "Ginter, G M (Michael)" <GinteGM@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:05:07 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I bought a 79 last summer.  Colorado Emissions Inspectors look for the air
pump and the catalytic converter.  If these are missing, replacements are
hard (expensive) to come by.  Absolutely lift the carpet (shouldn't be
glued, yeah right) from the floor of the driver's side and check for rust.
 Even in dry climates you might find some.  The other spot is just in front
of the rear fenders on the rockers.  Check the bottom and back side as
well.  If the metal there is soft, there is a possibility of rust.
 Definately look in the trunk.  Here and on the bonnet rust is fairly
obvious.  Go through all of the gears (while driving preferably) including
reverse (I forgot that one, fortunately I can live with the grinding that
is only present in reverse).  Listen (I repeat, LISTEN carefully) for noise
from the rearend while driving.  Rear hub rebuilds are costly!  Have one of
the motor experts on the list tell you how to check for crankshaft end play
(indicates motor wear and future rebuild requirements).

Hey, I have learned a few things in the last 8 months and also from using
this list.

Mike
79 Spit