RE: TR-6 Drive Unit

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR-6 Drive Unit
From: Kevin Andrews <kevina@wolverine.emji.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 23:25:20 -0500
 Fellow enthusiast,
        In all the years that I have worked on the Front wheel drive cars. The
weakest thing on the CV joints are the boots themselves.
The reason for this is the constant twisting and turning of the boot. On the
front wheel drive cars, they do all the work( turning during steering and
rotating
during acceleration).This in time makes the boot weak and then splits.
        Now if you use it on a rear wheel drive car it only goes in one motion.
No twisting hardly ever happens. Most of the Nissan and Mazda's have this
kind of set-up and I have never seen one split.
        So this CV set-up for the 6 is a real good idea.Replacement boots now
are made to take this kind of punishment and do last longer. I have taken
joints apart and cleaned them, and replaced them with the new boot. If the CV
joint does not have any pits in it then you can reuse it.
        But, On front wheel drive cars. If you hear a cliking noise while
you are turning the car, then the joint is gone bad and then replace the joint.
You don't have to replace the joint just because the boot is split.
        This is my experiance with these cars since me and my father run
a wheel alignment shop. And we get alot of repeat business and happy
customers.
        Just my $0.02 worth
Kevin Andrews
Siler City,NC