Re: FW: TR6 Drive unit

To: gintegm@louisville.stortek.com ("Ginter, G M (Michael)")
Subject: Re: FW: TR6 Drive unit
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 14:58:40 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net ("'triumphs@autox.team.net'")
>CV joint boots are not that fragile.  Weigh the cost of checking the
>boots in the Spiring (pre-season) and Fall (post season) and maybe a
>once mid-season versus performance benefits of this type of driveshaft.
>If I had a TR6 I think I'd go for it.

        If you check them one in spring (April) once in fall (Oct) and once mid
season  (July)  then is still not often enough to save you.  If the
rubber crack 1-2 months after your last check that leaves you riding on a
busted boot for over a month.  All the grease has been ejected and the CV
is now toast.

        I'm not trying to say that boots crack every 3-6 months.  The cars I
have the CV Joints on usually last about 4-5 years.  However you never
know when you could kick something up that will cut the boot.  I had 3
boots go on my wife's last car in a period of 1 1/2 years.  It was quite
fustrating.

        Someone pointed out that these new drive shafts for TR's run about 600
Brit pounds  (1000 Bucks US).  What is the weak spot in the current TR
IRS setup that make me want to spend $1,000 to fix it.  I know there are
some problems, but I just don't quite understand them.

JHD IV