Bolt pattern interchangeability

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bolt pattern interchangeability
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:46:19 -0800
With all this disscution of different wheels for our cars I'd thought I
would jump in here and say that although bolt patterns may be the same for
different cars (Spitfire/Marina/GT6/TR7), the offset of the wheel may not
necessarily be the same.  The offset or difference between the mounting
surface and either side of the rim is designed for a certain wheel bearing
inner or outer wheel bearings increasing stress/wear.  In the front this can
also cause more rapid tire wear and increased steering effort at low speeds
because of this difference.  Not to be alarmed, but just aware. . .Also tire
clearence can be a problem -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)