Re: Flywheel Ring Gear Replacement

To: wlwynn@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel Ring Gear Replacement
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:05:28 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 05 Mar 1997 19:55:17 -0800 wlwynn@ibm.net writes:
>This is my first submission, so please excuse any format errors.  I
>have
>just purchased a TR6 in boxes.  Basically, everything was there, just
>in
>boxes.  The engine was running great, but the starter was acting up.
>Now the ring gear has come loose from the flywheel.  I assume my next
>step is to pull the engine.  Anyone have experiance with replacing the
>ring gear.  I have done almost everything to cars, but never a ring
>gear.  Any assistance will be appreciated.

You don't have to pull the engine, but you will have to remove the
transmission.  If the ring gear came loose, I wouldn't try to put that
one back on;  I'd invest in a new one.  Last time I put one on (Volvo), I
put the flywheel in the freezer for a couple of hours and the ring gear
in the oven.  I used 400 degrees, but others have used less.  Use your
welding gloves or something similar and drop the hot ring gear onto the
cold flywheel and use a hammer (gentle taps) to insure the ring gear is
properly seated.  Make sure you clean the mating surfaces thoroughly
first.  When you put it together, make sure the bevels on the teeth are
toward the starter.  While it's all apart, you probably want to resurface
the flywheel, replace the disk, pressure plate, throw-out bearing,
actuating fork and pin, cross-shaft bushings, cross-drill the fork and
cross-shaft and put in a 1/4 inch roll pin because the taper pin breaks
the first time you step on the clutch. If there's a bunch of gook in the
bellhousing, replace that front seal, too.   While you have the tranny
out, you better remove the driveshaft and check the u-joints, too.  That
old rear transmission mount has to go, too.  Don't put that ratty
cardboard trans cover back on either.  Spring for a spiffy new plastic
one.  Just how much confidence do you have in that transmission, anyway.
Doesn't it need a rebuild?

Seriously, before you get too far into this get a good manual, preferably
the Bentley factory book.  You can buy them directly from Bentley on the
internet.  It's the best investment you will make in your car.
Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (Getting ready for paint)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 (latest acquisition)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover (Farm use)
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon (Be patient! I'm workin' on it)
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)
1987 VW Golf GTI (How did that sneak in here?)
1972 Grady White Chesapeake Mercruiser I/O