Minilites

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Minilites
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 16:12:50 -0500 (EST)
This afternoon, as I was looking at a set of minilite wheels I purchased for
my TR6 project, I noticed something I think is peculiar, and I would like
input from the group, please.

On the Panasports I have on my other TR6, and on most OEM wheels, the area
surrounding the holes for the lug bolts is machined, or stamped, with a
bevel. This bevel matches a bevel on the lug nuts, and creates a self
centering action as the lug nuts are tightened. On the minilites, however,
there is no bevel; the surface around the lug bolt holes is flat. The lug nut
has a reduced shank which fits through the lug bolt holes, and has a flat
surface under the shoulder of the nut.

This would be fine if the shank of the lug nuts was a snug fit through the
bolt holes, but there is noticible play - not a great deal, but noticible. I
am concerned that the wheels cannot be mounted exactly coencentric to the hub
with this arrangement.

Does anyone have any experience with minilites, and is this a real problem,
or am I worrying too much?

Thanks for your help!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

PS: for what its worth, I measured the following backspacing values:

Minilites                 3 7/8 "
Panasports            3 15/16 "
Stock TR6             3 1/2 "
MGB Rostyle         4 1/16