Re: Carpet Installation

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Carpet Installation
From: Bob Jones <JONES_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 13:33:11 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
scott suhring wrote:

> Kevin Andrews wrote:
> >
> > Never glue the carpet. Convertables don't always stay dry on the inside.
> > There should be snaps to hold the carpet in.
> >         Kevin Andrews
> >
> > ----------
> > Kevin:
>
> I've considered installing snaps, and may still go that route, but
> first wanted to check list's opinions. I have seen very few
> carpets installed with snaps, most all are glued.
>
> A follow-up question. Do you install the under padding with snaps
> and then the carpet with snaps? If you do this, the under padding
> would still be perminately secure due to the riveted snap for the
> carpet, or do you glue the padding to the carpet first and then
> install snaps?
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethown, PA
> '70 TR6
Scott:
One thing usually missed in carpet installation is the placement of the
spacer washers between the seat slides and the carpet.  These usually
keep the seat slide from welding itself to the carpet due the the
inevitable moisture that finds itself onto TR carpet from time to time.
Replace the original steel ones with comparable sized stainless steel
nuts to prevent this.  Stainless steel set screws to hold down the seat
slide assembly are advisible.
Bob