Re: wire wheels

To: "Richard & Linda McSherry" <mcsherry@megalink.net>, prubrew@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: wire wheels
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 18:01:53 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At  7:07 PM 3/1/97 -0800, Richard & Linda McSherry wrote:
>Chris,
>
>You mentioned in recent postings to the triumph list a company called
>British Wire Wheel in CA, which is new to me.  I have a set of tired
>60-spokers and am looking for opinions from people who have had wheel work
>done by outfits specializing in the rebuilding and tuning up of wires
>regarding quality of work, cost/value, honesty/dependability, good or bad
>feelings about the place in general, etc.

Richard.  I live about5 miles from British Wire Wheels.  They sell new &
used wheels (You can get a slightly better deal on a Moss or TRF sale) and
they rebuild wire wheels.  If your hub spline are worn they say it is
cheaper to replace the wheel than pay for all the spokes to be removed, a
new hub and many new spokes put in and trued.

I have known the company for many years.  The owner is a long time big
Healey owner.  They do an excellent job trueing wheels and a lot of their
work is mail order.  They can not generally give exact rebuilding costs up
front beacuse they do not know how many spokes will break when they try  to
losen them.  They are not fast.  They soak the wheel in a degunker for a
week or two before working on it.  The break many less spokes that way.

800-wire-wheel  - to request free catalogues

http://www.tamara.com/baystar/british_wheel

They are in Santa Cruz, California just off highway #1

TeriAnn Wakeman            "Large format photographers look
Santa Cruz California       at the world upside down and
twakeman@scruznet.com       backwards"