TR alternator conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR alternator conversion
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:42:16 -0800
> I have seen the article in VTR about the Toyota alternator with the
> seperate regulator but I hear rumors of another tested alternator
> conversion.  Could someone please tell me where to locate this info?  I
> bet one of you webmasters has it on his page.  I looked under SOL and
> VTR maintenance but couldn't find it
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm sure I have it somewhere, if you really want I can probably dig it up.
But I would think that the early 70's to 80's GM alternator with built in
regulator will also work and would provide many more options, as well as
being much cheaper.  While slightly bigger than the Toyota, It isnt any
larger than the Lucas unit and will wire directly into the existing wiring
harness of any Triumph using the Lucas alternator.  I myself have installed
this unit on the V6 Spitfire, using the existing harness ( with appropriate
connectors spliced in )  They are VERY easy to repair, parts can be obtained
at any local parts supliers, and you can get up to a 70 amp unit( and
possibly more ).  The mounting detalis I havn't looked at (since the V6 is
different ) but I do have a 70 Spitfire motor (actually three of them) and
one of these days I may look at that option.  It dosn't look like it would
be very difficult at all and might actually bolt right up!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+