Spit Bonnet Fit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Bonnet Fit
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 07:12:11 -0800
> Here's the question: Will a Mark II or Mark III bonnet fit on the Mark IV?
> The current one is in bad shape as are many of the body sections. I do have
> access to several repairable earlier bonnets
Yes and no - It won't bolt directly but it will physically fit.  It would
require a lot of work, some of it to the frame, and besides, I would think
it wouldn't look too good,  The problem is with the way the various bonnets
mount to the frame.  The hood hinges are all different between the models,
plus the MK II, and MK III have different lower valances than the MK IV.
The bumpers, their mountings (and relative positions), the frame hinge
pivots, and bumper overiders are all different between the various MK's  All
these things would have to be replaced.  I personally don't think it would
be worth the work required and you would end up with a funny mix -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+