Re: Spit6 Conversion Questions?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tomstory@slip.net
Subject: Re: Spit6 Conversion Questions?
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:42:40 -0700
> Can anyone who's ever done the Spit/GT6 hybrid please contact me. PLEASE no
> flames everyone...I have my beloved Spit, and a GT6 sitting in the garage
> that needs a lot of work...and my wife and I have a very good chance that
> we'll be moving either to England or Germany soon and can only take one
> car...are you catching my meaning?
>
> The Spit is a 67 MkII and the GT6 is a 70 MkII. Is this swap doable? Here
> are my thoughts for why I might want to do this.
>
> 1. I Love having a convertible.
> 2. I really like the thought of having a 6 cylinder convertible.
> 3. The rotoflex rear setup is pretty appealing
> 4. Would use the GT6 seats, seem more confortable.
> 5. Would use ALOT of parts from the GT6 in my Spit, most of it wouldn't go
> to waste.
> 6. The GT6 Bonnet is in better shape that the Spits.
> 7. The Spits body is in MUCH better shape than the GT6.
> 8. Bigger, better brakes.
> 9. Better Diff(?)
> 10. Because it would be cool...huh huh...huh huh...

Good Morning,

Having reviewed several notes on this, the only thing I would add is to be
aware of
the parking brake pivots. They need to be relocated to the tub as in the GT-6.
If you don't do this the cables will no doubt run afoul of the rotoflexs'. Of
course
if one isn't interested in the hand/parking brake this is a nonissue. I chose to
maintain the parking brakes functionality.

Enjoy,

Ken Boetzer