Re: Spit6 Conversion Questions?

To: tomstory@slip.net (Tomstory)
Subject: Re: Spit6 Conversion Questions?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 07:12:40 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You shouldn't get flamed for that one, plenty of people have done just what
your contemplating.  Your best bet is to put the Spitfire tub on the GT6
frame, it has all the mounting brackets in the proper locations for all the
bits that are different,  you'll HAVE to use the GT6 bonnet if your going to
use the GT6 engine and the only major problem with doing this type of
conversion is that you'll have to weld new upper shock mounts inside the
rear wheel wells in the Spit shell.  When I did mine I had to make my own
but now you can buy these items from Victoria British (possibly others).
When you get done you'll have what Triumph should have made in the first
place! (no flames please just personal opinion here) Yes you should use the
rear diff from the GT6, the MK II is a little weak for this application.
And if you want the best possible setup, get a swing spring from a MK4 or
later Spitfire (but be sure to remove the bolt and sleeve and bend the outer
most spring u-brackets around the spring or you'll foul the roto-flex
couplings)  And if you go to that spring you'll want to use the larger roll
bar as well.  You might consider using the GT doors also 'cause they have
those neet little wing vents not found on Spits.  The trans tunnel and
firewall are slightly different ( and you may have to do a little
cutting/trimming in the area around the starter (for the GT6 engine).  Just
use the tunnel cover as a guide.  Also the hinge for the bonnetts are
slightly different between the MK2 and MK3 so you'll have to do a little
fudging around that area.  Use all the GT6 front suspension/brake items as
well as these were uprated for the GT6.  Go for it, you won't regret it!
And the best thing about it is it's all Triumph!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+