Spit6 Conversion Questions?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit6 Conversion Questions?
From: tomstory@slip.net (Tomstory)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:31:58 -0700
Can anyone who's ever done the Spit/GT6 hybrid please contact me. PLEASE no
flames everyone...I have my beloved Spit, and a GT6 sitting in the garage
that needs a lot of work...and my wife and I have a very good chance that
we'll be moving either to England or Germany soon and can only take one
car...are you catching my meaning?

The Spit is a 67 MkII and the GT6 is a 70 MkII. Is this swap doable? Here
are my thoughts for why I might want to do this.

1. I Love having a convertible.
2. I really like the thought of having a 6 cylinder convertible.
3. The rotoflex rear setup is pretty appealing
4. Would use the GT6 seats, seem more confortable.
5. Would use ALOT of parts from the GT6 in my Spit, most of it wouldn't go
to waste.
6. The GT6 Bonnet is in better shape that the Spits.
7. The Spits body is in MUCH better shape than the GT6.
8. Bigger, better brakes.
9. Better Diff(?)
10. Because it would be cool...huh huh...huh huh...

 Ok seriously, I would plan on dropping the Spits tub on the GT's frame,
and probably crate up the 4 cylinder engine for future use. Really I have
no way to take both, the GT6 needs at least a right side sill (inner and
outer), new fllor pan, battery tray, carpets etc...I'm going to check
compression this week, make sure the engine is strong.

So what do people think? I know one GT6 body would go to the junkyard, but
for what it needs and the time I have I'd rather have MOST of it live on
than none of it. And I don't think the Spit's chassis is extremely
valuable, at least here in california. Once again any and all advice very
much appreciated...even flames :)
Tom

"So you're going to take us for a ride eh?"
"Yeah, come on"
"Well I don't have a sister!"
"That's ok we no gotta car!"