TR6 caliper pistons?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 caliper pistons?
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:00:38 -0500
Fellow scions,

Going through my brake system on my newly acquired TR6, I discovered some
difficulties with the front calipers (they were frozen), which resulted in
me taking them off the car just before darkness set in today, and now I am
looking to replace the pistons (finally managed to get them out of the
@#*$%#*$ calipers). Does anybody have experience with the stainless steel
pistons offered by MOSS, or should I just go with the 'regular' one pistons
(which, according to Moss, is made of mild steel with industrial hard-chrome
plating)? I would like to only have to do this once ;-) - so better do it
right. The price diff. is somewhere around $10 per piston. And is the 'anti
squeek brake pads' worth the price diff? (or is are the regular ones really
bad?) ;-)

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. Is there any thing that I can use (except for brake fluid) to clean the
calipers where the piston sits?

GT6 Mk. 2 1969 (Red w/1972 GT6 engine - and black targa-top)
GT6 Mk. 3 1971 (White - w/TR250 engine)
TR6 1974 - undefined red color - and my latest project