Re: Spitfire 1500 rev counter

To: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 rev counter
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:28:14 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Peter,

You might consider trying to use a distributor from a 1973-74
US spec. Spit 1500.  These would have the mechanical tach.
drive.  I'm not sure if the advance curve would be
different due to the "reduced emissions" nature of US spec.
cars.

>As I exchanged the 1300 engine in my Spitfire Mk3 with a 1500,
>I kept the 1300 distributor, because the 1500 one is not
>capable of driving the tachometer. However I have concidered
>going for a 1500 distributor as well in order to get the right
>advance curve. The question is, what drives the tachometer on
>a 1500 engine? I understand that it is electrically driven, but
>I don't know what it connects to.

The electronic tach fitted to later Spits connects to +12V, Earth (ground),
and the ignition coil low voltage side.

Hope this helps,
Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->