Spitfire rearend noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire rearend noise
From: svrx@c2i2.com (Dennis McAllister)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 14:23:15 -0700 (MST)
I have an 1979 spitfire that has some rearend noise that is directly related
to axle rotation. I have lifted all weight off the wheels and manually
testet u-joints, and wheel bearings. I have spun up the wheels off the
ground in 4th gear up to 55 mph and cannot repeat the noise. When I am
driving there is a definite "click" that speeds up with me, and stops when I
do. I believe the rear-end, and u-joints are ok, and have a suspicion that
the wheel bearings are beginning to fail. Any experience out there? Any
advice before I replace unnecessary parts?

Dennis
Daily driving a 79 spit
Dennis, Cathy and Caitlin McAllister
8060 High Road