Re: 73 TR6 New Restorer Questions

To: Murry J Mercier <mercierm@battelle.org>
Subject: Re: 73 TR6 New Restorer Questions
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:03:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Murry J Mercier wrote:

>      I have been on the road for about a month, ~100mi, with brakes seats
>      etc.. I have a few questions:

>      1) Courtesy lights- are there one or two courtesy lights in a stock
>      73?. I find one door-swiched bulb holder on the passenger side and a
>      similar holder on the drivers side which is dash-light switched. Is
>      this correct?. From the wiring diagram it looks like both should be
>      door-switched. Where does the drivers side bulb mount?... I assume the
>      passenger bulb mounts below the cubby.

I'm not entirely sure, as the courtesy light wiring (and seat belt
buzzer)
has been "enhanced" by a DPO.  However, from what I have gathered from
talking to others, there are courtesy lights on each side, mounted in
little holders on each side.  (Under the glove box, and near the
ignition
switch.)  These are each switched by the door lights.  (Question:  are
they independently switched?  ie, does the driver's door only activate
the driver's side light, and same for passenger door?)

>      2) British Leland Emblem- Assuming that stock 73's had emblems, what
>      is the correct location? (fender-door seam to emblem edge
>      distance/fender bottom to emblem edge distance etc.?)

I have no idea, as mine were taken off in a respray by the DPO; I would
appreciate an answer, too!

>      3) Heater blower- Should the heater blower run all the time the
>      ignition is on in the low position, even when the switch is in the
>      forward position?

The motor should only run when the switch is pulled back.  (It is a
three-
position switch -- OFF, slow, fast.)  Lucas may have re-wired yours as
a slow, intermittent, fast, or something similar...

>      5) Wipers- On a stock 73 do the blades park on the passenger side?...
>      mine are missing and the motor does not park.  Can this be corrected
>      by adjustment or replacement of parts in motor drive assembly... or
>      is it best to look for a replacement?

The blades should park in front of the driver.  (Left side of car for
US market, right side for UK.)  This is true for all years of TR6.

>      6) Manuals- Is the Bently manual the most complete to answer this type
>      of questions?  I tried to order from TRF but out of stock... I have
>      the factory manual for '73 -'76 which is very abbreviated. What about
>      the Haynes?... Sources for ordering at the best price?

The Bentley Manual (a reprint of factory manual, plus owner's handbook)
is
a good source for much of the above information.  In a restoration, I
think
that no one source is adequate by itself.  From what I've seen, the
following
are all helpful in a restoration (this is by no means a complete list,
either...):

        2) a factory manual and owners handbook (or Bentley manual)
        3) for a TR6, the two-volume Roadster Factory parts/assembly manual
        4) local Triumph contacts through a club, such as a VTR chapter
        5) as many period photos, sales brochures, ads, etc., as one can
           find, to get accurate photos of an original car.

>      what a fun car ;)... I think I am lucky, being a novice LBCer, this
>      car seems to run and handle really well...thanks to the mechanical
>      skills of the PO... the more I drive the better it seems... even the
>      'eau de castral' has diminished (or maybe I am getting used to it)

I think any Triumph can be a fun, good-handling, reliable car.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'74 TR6 Daily Driver)

PS:  Regarding that last comment I made:  Well, maybe not a Herald...
         :-) :-)  (Just seeing if Andy's reading...)

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |