Re: FW: Classic Insurance

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>, Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Classic Insurance
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 07:18:10 EDT
On Oct 8,  7:10pm, "Vincenti, Ross" wrote:
> I, too, would be interested in finding out more about the various insurers
> that offer "classic" car insurance.  Obviously, the premium will be low if
> all you are buying is minimal (10/30) liability coverage versus the more
> desireable 100/300 liability coverage.  The key to keeping the cost low
> would appear to be the absence of collision coverage, which can be quite
> expensive.

This is a very good point.  There are three types of things covered
by auto insurance: liability, comprehensive and collision.  In a
nutshell liability covers you if you hurt someone else, comprehensive
covers vandalism, etc. and collision covers the car if *you* hit
something.  Except for the tow vehicle (which still has a loan on
it which requires collision), I don't carry collision on my cars.
You'd be surprised what a large part of the total bill the collision
part is.  I figure that if I break it, I'll fix it myself or pay to
fix it myself and still come out ahead.  We've gotten a fairly good
price on our cars from a "standard" policy (Erie Insurance) this
way, even though I drive the Triumphs a lot.

Disclaimer, I'm not in the insurance business and probably don't
know what I'm talking about...

cheers,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU