Re: Classic Insurance

To: ckent@ids.net
Subject: Re: Classic Insurance
From: Daniel Pruzan <dpruzan@nearinc.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 15:28:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
ckent@ids.net wrote:

>         I was surprised to hear that people were getting classic car
> insurance for $30 a year.  I called two companies in Rhode island and got
> quotes of $100 a year.  I didnt do it because of the limitations but im
> starting to reconsider because I would like to drive it a bit before
> winter.
> How is the 2500 mi per year clause checked?
> Is there any thing else I need to check when getting this policy?
> What is the reason for the big difference in quotes?
>
> chris

Chris,

I called Condon & Skelly, the company initially referenced.  The $30/year
covers basic liability, medical expenses, and uninsured motorists (it can
be a bit higher depending on the amount of coverage you want).  If you
want comprehensive, i.e. fire, theft, and collision, it is $0.0085/year
times the insured value of your car, e.g. a $10k car would cost an
additional $85/year.  But there is zero deductible for cars more than 25
years old which is nice.

They told me that the insurance only covered you while on club outings,
parades, and "maintenance rides".  The car is not covered for going to
work or running errands.  I use my car a fair amount for the latter two
and decided not to pursue this plan.  If you know of a policy that allows
for the occasional trip to the office please let me know.

Dan Pruzan
71 Stag
Santa Clara, CA

PS I don't know how they track the 2500 miles per year, unless they can
get the information from the State if/when it is recorded during
smog/safety inspections.