What temperature? TR6 Zenith Stromberg temp. by-pass valve

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: What temperature? TR6 Zenith Stromberg temp. by-pass valve
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 17:24:16 -0400
Greetings:

I have been working on rebuilding my Zenith Stromberg carburetors
for my '74 TR6 and '71 TR6.  With the Z-S manual and some help
from my friends I have learned how to rebuild everything on these
carbs.

I still have one question.  What temperature should the temperature
by-pass valve be set at?  The manual says to replace these with new
parts.  Call me a cheapskate, but there is nothing the matter with
the ones that I have, except that they were dirty.  The only way to
clean them thoroughly is to take them apart.  When you do that,
you have lost the temperature setting.  I have figured out a way to
easily set the temperature if it is something less than the boiling point
of water (212°F).  I just get a bucket of water a little warmer than I want
it set at and a bucket of water a little cooler.  I put the valve in the hot
and cold and adjust the nut on the bi-metallic strip till it opens
and closes at the temperature that I want.

Can anyone tell me what temperature these should open and close
at, or is it a trade secret to keep you buying new valves?

Thanks,
Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO
74 TR6, 71 TR6