Re: GT6 bumpers/cooling system

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 bumpers/cooling system
From: Fredrik Wilkens <fredrik.wilkens@consensus.se>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 13:46:41 -0700
> >I had big problems with overheating in my GT6. Adjusting carbs and
> >ignition advance has helped a lot. The engine seems to be very sensitive
> >to wrong settings in ignition advance.
>
> How is that? Was it unhappy with it to advanced? Or to retarded? Both? I'm
> about to rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel pump (don't know if it'll
> be electric or mechanical yet) and do some serious work to find some lost
> power.
>
> Thanx!
>
> Jeff Stovall
> jstovall@earthlink.net
> "I'm God's gift to humility."
> 1966 Triumph GT6 mk1
> AKA "Le blanc bombe"

I experienced over-heating due to ingition beeing too retarded, can't
remember exactly but it was well below 10 degrees (dynamic that is).
Should be 13 degrees. I don't know if the carbs really affected
overheating problems, but they were really unbalanced.

My experience is that engine will idle better with ingition advanced
around 18-20 degrees. Anybody know why I shouldn't use such a setting?
I've heard scaring tales about engine exploding. But why, then, does it
idle and sound better at that setting? Because as rev comes up it will
advance even more? But why then, not decrease increase in advance due to
higher rev and just increase idle advance setting?

Fredrik Wilkens
GT6 MkII -69