Re[2]: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: What differential?
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:06:42 -0600
BS>> Tony wrote
BS>> The ratio is determined by the number of teeth in the pinion gear and
BS>> how many teeth it has to travel on the similiarly beveled ring gear to
BS>> make  one complete revolution and then how many times the pinion gear
BS>> has to turn to make the ring gear make one complete revolution to
BS>> complete the final drive.
BS>> Sorry, I just don't see anyway you can determine the ratio considering
BS>> the variation in tire sizes and the variation of non-stock drive shafts,
BS>> like mine.
BS>>  Anybody care to elaborate. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.
BS>> Regards,
BS>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BS>You are correct in that the ratio is determined by the number of teeth on
BS>the ring gear vs the number of teeth on the pinion, and thats the ideal and
BS>sure way to determine said ratio.  However, you are incorrect in claming
BS>that tire size and driveshaft size screws up the formula.  A revoloution is
BS>a revolution no mater how "big" or "small" its diameter,  and a ratio in
BS>this case is a direct relation between the number of times the driveshaft
BS>turns vs the number of times the axle turns.  If the ring gear (connected to
BS>the axle) turns 4 times, it's corresponding wheel turns 4 times, no matter
BS>what the size.  The same holds true for the drive-shaft connected to the
BS>pinion gear.  The only anomaly in this are the "spider" gears, which allow
BS>the wheels to differentiate (differental) when cornering.  Hope that clear's
BS>things up a bit-
BS>Barry Schwartz
BS>Bschwartz@encad.com
BS>Bschwart@pacbell.net
BS>63' Spitfire,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+

Okay, okay,
 The string method will give you a partial answer, but where does the
inner pinion gears and the smaller inner gears come into effect?
 Everything is relative. Change one output gear and the entire goemetry
changes.
 With the string method, you only get the primary number of the ratio,
and this method is not accurate enough to distinguish between a 3.8.9.:1
and a 4.1.1.:1 rearend.
 I'm going to try this myself since my gears are a "known" and I will
be the first to admit if I turn out wrong. I will be willing to "eat my
humble pie" publicly
 No arguing, just find it hard to believe there is an easier way than
counting teeth. Especially after all these years.
Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com