Re[2]: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: What differential?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 06:38:13 -0700
> Tony wrote
> The ratio is determined by the number of teeth in the pinion gear and
> how many teeth it has to travel on the similiarly beveled ring gear to
> make  one complete revolution and then how many times the pinion gear
> has to turn to make the ring gear make one complete revolution to
> complete the final drive.
> Sorry, I just don't see anyway you can determine the ratio considering
> the variation in tire sizes and the variation of non-stock drive shafts,
> like mine.
>  Anybody care to elaborate. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.
> Regards,
You are correct in that the ratio is determined by the number of teeth on
the ring gear vs the number of teeth on the pinion, and thats the ideal and
sure way to determine said ratio.  However, you are incorrect in claming
that tire size and driveshaft size screws up the formula.  A revoloution is
a revolution no mater how "big" or "small" its diameter,  and a ratio in
this case is a direct relation between the number of times the driveshaft
turns vs the number of times the axle turns.  If the ring gear (connected to
the axle) turns 4 times, it's corresponding wheel turns 4 times, no matter
what the size.  The same holds true for the drive-shaft connected to the
pinion gear.  The only anomaly in this are the "spider" gears, which allow
the wheels to differentiate (differental) when cornering.  Hope that clear's
things up a bit-
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net
63' Spitfire,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+