RE:Spit wheel bearing seals

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Spit wheel bearing seals
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 7:09:30 PDT
Went through the same thing on my Vitesse. Felt towards
upright, felt should spin with hub. The felt seal is
glued to the metal shell that is an interference fit to
the hub. I purchased new seals from VB and they did not fit!
The metal shell was too large and I bent both of them on
install. This is the only time this has happened to me in 20+
years of wrenching on cars. I ended up reusing the old shells
and gluing in the new felt. I also found in my travels through
the mega-parts warehouse, a rubber lip type seal that was
listed as fitting GT6 (I have GT6 brakes/hubs on the Vitesse)
I'm keeping these as backups if the above mentioned setup
fails.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Lots-o-TRs mostly in bits