Re: TR4 SU question

To: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca
Subject: Re: TR4 SU question
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 23:22:32 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<<  At idle, if I slowly lift the air valve on the back carb, the motor will
 die off (I assume lean out) but when I do the same on the front carb nothing
 really changes, the motor keeps ticking along. I'm sure this is not right
 and I think once this is fixed the whole car will run great.
    When I was having my earlier problems I cleaned out the jets as best I
 knew how (so not much) and generally cleaned up all the linkages. Any advise
 would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mark,

Has any work been done on the engine lately, or did this problem come on all
of a sudden? With SUs, when you lift the piston, if the engine stumbles, it's
running too lean. However, if you lift a piston and nothing happens, that
carb is doing NO work. It sounds like the rear carb is doing all the work.
Check to see if the front carb has any fuel in the jet. Remove the cover,
spring, and piston. Can you see any fuel in the jet. The level should be
about 3/16" below the top of the jet. If you can't see any fuel in the jet,
there's no fuel in the float bowl. If the fuel level is about right there
could be a massive vacuum leak somewhere - to the point where the front carb
isn't able to draw the proper air/fuel ratio. That's why I asked if this
problem happened suddenly. If any recent engine work has been done, were any
vacuum connections not replaced?

Also, take a look at your motor mounts. When one of those things lets go, it
can cause a lot of shuttering from the front end.

Keep me posted,
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register