Re: TR4 SU question

To: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca (Mark and Judy Dalmaijer)
Subject: Re: TR4 SU question
From: Thomas J Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 07:51:40 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Sounds like the idle screw needs to be turned in a bit on the front carb.
At least the front carb does not seem to be providing any gas at idle.
This because, one, the idle is rough, and if the front carb was providing
gas at idel that it would, as the back, slow down when you manually lift the
air valve.  You are right about that.   Since it does not, the butter fly
valve must be closed all the way.   Since it runs good at speed both carbs
must be getting fuel.

After a run of 15 to 20 miles at speed check the condition of the plugs to
get a rough idea about the fuel/air mix.  Check one plug from the front and
one from the back to compair carb mixtures.

Good luck.

At 09:31 PM 7/27/96 GMT, you wrote:
>Hello (once again) to the Group,
>
>   My TR4 which I had problems starting earlier runs fairly well overall
>now. At higher RPM (>2000) there is plenty of power but  I noticed that at
>idle the engine shakes quite a bit in the engine bay (no funny mechanical
>noises) and there is no low end power like it once had.  I did change the
>damper oil so they match in both pistons.
>   At idle, if I slowly lift the air valve on the back carb, the motor will
>die off (I assume lean out) but when I do the same on the front carb nothing
>really changes, the motor keeps ticking along. I'm sure this is not right
>and I think once this is fixed the whole car will run great.
> snip......

Tom Howard
'72 Triumph GT6 Mk3
(and a good bit of USA iron)