correct paint for bits and pieces

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: correct paint for bits and pieces
From: Jim Brooks <jabrooks@mv.us.adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 19:15:09 -0700
Hi, all -

I've just got my hand on my second TR-3 ('59 TR-3A, TS42951) after about
eight years of Mustang ownership.  Ah, the memories are flooding back...

My first TR-3 was my main (only) car while I was in college, so proper
restoration wasn't that high on the priority list.  My new one, however, is
a prime candidate for a thorough restoration, having arrived at my door on a
trailer, mostly in boxes.  My question:

Is there any list of the proper colors for all misc. pieces?  I mean
everything - pulleys, lever shocks, frame, horns, the headlight bucket,
brackets, , brake drums, etc., etc.?  Was everything just black?  If so, was
it flat, satin, or gloss black?  Should wheel wells be body color, or some
other color? What about front calipers?  What color primer should be used
under the color coat?  What color should the interior be, under the upholstery?

Mustang restoration for concours is a mass of details, including where there
should be over spray of body color on the frame, what color black was used
on what bracket, and where to handwrite inspector initials with marking
pens.  The goal is to make the car look EXACTLY like it did when it left the
showroom.  All these things are outlined in the judging criteria.  Is there
anything similar available for TR's?

I guess a related question is, how do concours judges judge restoration
authenticity?  Or is authenticity less important than just a well done
restoration, nice looking car? I'm not looking for concours quality, but if
I'm going to the trouble of sanding and painting a part, I might as well
make sure it's the correct color...

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Jim
jabrooks@adobe.com