Re: correct paint for bits and pieces

To: jabrooks@mv.us.adobe.com
Subject: Re: correct paint for bits and pieces
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 07:51:54 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim,

This is to echo TerriAnn and tell you to get the TRA judging manual.  To get
this start by calling the TRA head judge, John Gabel, at 614-889-9945.  It
costs about $25 and is the best TR2/3 concourse guide in the world, better
even than Bill Piggott's books for the nuts & bolt details required for a
100 pt TRA restoration (or 400 pt VTR).

Just a short preview of what one can learn in reference to your questions on
what is painted what:

Pulleys: engine - gloss black engine paint
         water pump - gloss black engine paint
         generator - semi-gloss black (Eastwood underhood black works)

Lever shocks: Unpainted
Frame: Usually black, but could be painted any color!
Horns: Gloss black
Headlamp bucket: Gloss Black
Brackets: Usually black
Brake drums: Gloss Black (Eastwood chassis black works well)
Wheel wells: Body color
Front calipers: Unpainted, but I usually paint them with Eastwood Spray Gray
                to protect them
Body Primer: Red oxide
Interior color: Varied by year, consult manual
Color under Upholstery: body color

Concourse judges address authenticity first, i.e., is that part correct for
the car, then they address how close the part looks to coming off the
production floor.  Thus, a slightly worn original car will score higher
than a perfect modified car.

I don't want to correct TerriAnn, but I believe that the front chassis
crossmenber is painted frame color.  I also believe only the "EB" brass
body tag is painted body color, the brass tag with just numbers on it is
left natural.

Bruce Clough
cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil

BTW:  If you want it to look EXACTLY as it did when it came from the showroom
it won't even place in today's Concourse!  The cars look much better than when
they came from the factory!  Standard-Triumph never put $3000 paint jobs on
their cars!  Neither did they buff & polish unpainted metal.  It was made a
cheaply as possible.  I was planning on giving our TR2 a typical factory
paint job, but every one want to know why would I spend that much money on a
restoration then have such a crappy paint job.  I you really want to be
original you cant win!