Re: NEW: TR6 Tunnel Cover Question

To: CMaster808@aol.com
Subject: Re: NEW: TR6 Tunnel Cover Question
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 96 19:17:11 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Joe
>

>I'm thinking during the rebuild season this year, I'm going to take out the
>tunnel and use it as a form to lay up a fiberglass one.  Has anybody done
>this?
>How well or bad did it turn out.  Don't think it would be that hard.

Chet,
 I did this about four years ago to my 68 GT6. The hardest thing was
getting enough grease and oil off to get the glass and resin to stick.
 I used an engine degreaser and a coin operated car wash.
 When everything was nice and dry, I gave it a final rinse with aerosol
brake cleaner and let it dry. Glass stuck well.
 Insulated the underside with horsehair floor insulation from another GT6
and then covered that with the heat reflective "space blanket" material.
 Got all of it to stick together with Scotch 3M aerosol contact
cement.(the super 90 in a black can. About $10. at building supply stores)
 One little hint.
 When you cover the thing with fiberglass, lay some 1/4 inch washers on
the to side  of the screw holes. Makes it easier to locate them and
reinforces the holes.
Best Regards,
Tony
###