Re: Spit1500 fuel gauge

To: Peter Sunenshine <sunenshi@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: Spit1500 fuel gauge
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 18:26:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> work.  As soon as I take it off, the needle drops again.  Do I need a new
> fuel gauge, or can I fix this one?  Could I have any other problems?
> This is my first Triumph (but not my last) and I have no idea where to
> buy parts.  Any suggestions?This sounds as if it's a bad ground, since it
>sounds as if you're making
ground through the test light.  If the gauge suddenly works when you
probe it, it's probably not the gauge.  Remember that the gauge and the
sending unit are in series--power to one side of the gauge, other side
connected to the sending unit, the sending unit connected to ground.
The gauge is simply reacting to a variable resistance (at the sending
unit) in that series circuit.  I wouldn't buy a new gauge or sending unit
until I'd have installed new ground straps to the tank and the body of
the sending unit.
Cheers.