Spit1500 fuel gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit1500 fuel gauge
From: Peter Sunenshine <sunenshi@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 19:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: sunenshi@UMDNJ.EDU (Peter Sunenshine)
I've got a '76 Spitfire 1500 and everything works but the fuel gauge,
which is driving me nuts.  I checked the leads with a simple volt sensor
(you know, one of those two dollar probe looking things with a light bulb
in it) and there is power to the gauge, and I get a weak intermittent
reading from the sender unit wire.  The gauge always reads about an
eighth of a tank now, no matter how much gas is in it.  When I touch the
sender unit lead with my grounded volt sensor, the gas gauge seems to
work.  As soon as I take it off, the needle drops again.  Do I need a new
fuel gauge, or can I fix this one?  Could I have any other problems?
This is my first Triumph (but not my last) and I have no idea where to
buy parts.  Any suggestions?

                                - Peter Sunenshine
                                  Maplewood, NJ