Re: GT6 tech queries

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 tech queries
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 12:18:47 MST

>Sounds like some interesting GT6s are in the works out there; I've got a
>couple of questions I'd like opinions on: My '71 Mk3 is undergoing a body
>off rebuild into a streetable autox vehicle: reworked head, tube headers,
>Spax dampers, higher rate front spring, urethane bushings.
>
>1. I'm looking for cam recommendations - the TR5 cam looks like a good
>choise based on Egil Kvalbergs Triumph tuning info - any others?
>
>2. Has anyone out there actually done the late model swing spring swap
>into a rotoflex suspension as suggested by Kas Kastner or did he just
>think this was a neat idea? This came up on a previous thread I dug
>through in the archives but nobody who had real experience with it responded.
>
>3. I know the 3.89 rear end is probably the better choise for autox but
>everything is a long way away out here on the prairies, anyone got
>experience travelling witha non-od 3.89?

Scot,
 I can't help much with the Mk III suspension, there are lots of pros and
cons. Mostly it comes down to a matter of personal preference.
 The cam in the 250 was almost the same as the 69 GT6, which had the same
cam as the TR5. Only difference was about .030 in. more lift.
 Here are some numbers for a great street cam/ lift: .261, duration: .295
degrees, timing, intake and exhaust respectively 391(I) 76(E), Low side
761(I) 39(E). Intake time 108degrees.
 You can have your old cam reground to whatever spec you prefer, it's
just a matter of finind someone who can do it. The nearest cam grinder to
me is 45 miles away and I live in an area with about a million people
 Crane has a nice cam with almost the same numbers as above.
 On the gears,I ran 3:8:9-1 for a couple of years in a 68 non o/d GT6.
Top end was around 67mph, and the tach was peaked.
 I changed out to a 4:1:1 just to play, and the performance was not that
different. Biggest difference was that Icould get a hole shot on
anything, even motorcycles but, the top end was down to about 58 mph.
 Right now, I am running 3:2:7, love the road speed but low end
performance has gone bye-bye.
 I have a good set of 4:1:1 if your interested.(ring and pinion)
 When you install the headers, try to go to a 3 in. exhaust pipe or at
least dual pipes from the collectors. The Monza, and Falcon systems use
a small single pipe that splits at the rear to LOOK like duals. A built 2ltr
engine can use the breathing room if yuo go with head work and a cam.
Hope I have given you something useful.
Best Regards,
Tony
R.