Steering Box Lube?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Box Lube?
From: simwdc@utica.ge.com
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 14:13:16 EST
Cc: simwdc@utica.ge.com
        My owner's manual (1960 TR3A) suggests that I
remove the rubber plug on the steering column and top
with oil to the level of the orifice. This will
lubricate the steering box.
        My question.... What kind of oil do I use?
Can I use the Castro 80W90 GL5 gear oil for this? This
is probably a very mundane question for most readers but
being the cautious type, I rather be safe than sorry.
        Yes, I do have manuals but often
it reads... "using the appropriate lube" or suggests
a lube that is no longer available.
        Thanks once again.

                                Bill Christ
                                1960 TR3A