Vehicular history

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vehicular history
From: "Scott W. Paisley" <paisley@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:03:46 -0700
Philip E. Barnes writes:
 > Oh, is it my turn?

Hey, I thought it was my turn!!! :-)

Date  Car  Comments

1982  1966 AH Sprite
           I didn't own this car, but worked, and drove it with a
           friend of mine to many British car events.  Taught me the
           British car owners are the coolest, nicest folks alive! :-)
           (My friend purchased this car for $25, and still has it)
1983  1974 Pontiac Grand Ville, 455 V8 with 4 barrel carb, 10-12mpg
           My high school car.  BIG back seat. <g>  BIG front
           seat. <G>  Got me out of trouble many times, got me into
           trouble many times.  I'm sure I'm alive today because of
           the steel and brakes in this car, but that's another story.
1984  1981 Honda Prelude.  Fun car, but a bit cramped.  Finally got it
           all fixed (read: new trans-axle, shafts, suspension, etc)
           then sold it. (This car was my wife's when we got married)
1987  1985 Honda CRX-si
           Awesome car.  sold it with 175,000 miles, still had stock
           compression.  Fun to drive, great gas mileage, great accel.
1989  1988 VW Golf-GL
           Nice car, but had a bogus fuel computer.  Hated the
           automatic trans too.  Handled good though... (wife drove
           this one mostly)
1991  1975 Triumph TR6
           Bought it to finally own a British car of my own!  Told the
           wife that it would be a sound investment.  She still
           waiting for this to become true, and so am I.  :-)
           We still own it, but will sell soon to restore the '70.
1991  1973 Yamaha 550
           Got this bike for free as it wasn't running.  Put a set of
           points in it, rode it for a year, sold for $450.  (my only
           profit ever)
1992  1988 Jeep Wrangler
           Best deal I've ever made on a car.  Found it with only
           14,000 miles.  Paid the asking price, too good to be true!
           Still own it with now 70,000+ miles.  (sold the Golf, and
           the '73 Yamaha to get this!)  Funny thing was I didn't want
           a Jeep.  My wife wanted it.  She drives it all the time,
           and loves it.  Now that we've had it a while, I dig it too!
           (It really is a fun vehicle for something that handles
           like, well, like a truck. :-)
1993  NOTE Sold the CRX, the Triumph became my daily driver! (ya!)
           Moved to Colorado, and drove the TR!  (you wouldn't believe
           how much you can pack in that car.)  The top stayed down
           the entire way, until I got to Colorado, where I was
           greeted with one HECK of a thunderstorm.  Found a gas
           station at the tail end of that storm where I put 10.5
           gallons of gas into my 10 gallon tank.  *whew!*
1994  1983 Yamaha 750
           Bought it for transportation since I couldn't get the '75
           TR6 through Colorado emissions with it's hot cam.  I've
           since put a mild cam and have both on the road. :-)
           That was fun using the Yamaha for a parts chaser!
1995  1970 Triumph TR6
           Found this one in a garage in Denver, stored since 1982.
           Originally from Kansas, it was pretty much rust free, but
           needs fenders.  The guy who had it, had visions of
           restoring it.  Dumped big bucks into all the mechanics,
           then sold it to me. <G> (I couldn't turn it down since it
           had a hardtop, over-drive and spoked wheels.)  Not on the
           road... yet.
1995  1988 Ford Taurus Wagon (ugg)
           Bought this since the Jeep and the TR(s) couldn't carry
           more than 2 people comfortably.  An influx of visiting
           relatives encouraged the purchase, however, I'm not sure
           how I transported 2x4s, and other large items before I
           owned this car.  Good part's chaser.  :-)

That's it for me, yet the story will continue.  Did someone say I have
an Austin Healey 100M in my future?  *Drooool*

-Scotty

 Current fleet:

 '70 TR6 (in need of time)
 '75 TR6 (in need of a new home since I don't have room :-(
 '83 Yamaha 750 (great backup, and fair weather vehicle)
 '88 Jeep Wrangler (way fun...way)
 '88 Ford Taurus  (Better than a minivan!  :-)