Vehicular history

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vehicular history
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:16:30 +0100
Oh, is it my turn?

1966 A-H Sprite; first car, taught me a lot about cars, like rust.
1960 Chevy sedan delivery: what possessed my to buy this? Collectors item
that got bashed by a mouth-breather in a mall parking lot. Learned about
stated-value insurance.
1971 TR6: bought it in 1977, still have it. Subject of recent restoration,
reason I'm on this list.
1971 Caprice: winter rat that almost made it through the winter.
1969 Volvo 145: winter rat that stuck around for a while. Started love of
Volvos.
1971 Volvo 142: converted to stage-rally car with cage etc. Met it's end
against a BIG rock in central Ontario.
1974 Volvo 145: small motor in a heavy chassis taught patience. Towed the
rally car all over Hell's half-acre.
1984 VW Rabbit: bought new, I thought it was worn out at 125K. I was wrong;
someone is still driving it.
1974 Mazda RX2: stage-rally car. A tree kept us from driving it over a
cliff into a ravine.
1989 Jetta: replaced the not worn out Rabbit.
1989 Jetta: wife's version.
1984 VW GTI: converted to stage-rally car. Very easy to drive fast on
gravel, scary to drive fast on ice. Sold to raise money for TR6 project.
1991 VW GTI 16V: very exciting to drive when it ran at all.
1992 Nissan NX2000: Wife's idea of excitement and I agree, but have you
ever tried to get two child seats in one?
1993 Nissan Altima: reliable sleeper, engineering marvel for the price.

Philip E. Barnes                    '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951