Re: TR-6 Accelerator shaft bushings ??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 Accelerator shaft bushings ??
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 15:20:14 -0500 (EST)
Flemming asked about tricks to replace TR-6 accel. shaft bushings...

Been there, done that... but sure didn't enjoy it!

My '72 had no bushings when I took possession.  Sure, simple fix,
good way to get used to simple repairs on the car.  Yeah, right!

I fought, pushed, pulled, etc, etc, and only got madder and
madder.  The appearance is that the replacement is simply too
big to go in the bracket hole!  My final solution (hang head
in shame) was to take a knife to the new bushing, and slice a
wedge shaped section from it.  This allowed me to put one end of
the thing in place and roll it around the hole while inserting the rest.

Not pretty, but the end result was still a nice snug fit (even
with the section removed!).  I'm not proud of my approach, but
the results have been ok.

I've seen various postings here since then, with suggestions to
soak the new bushing in hot water to make it more flexible during
the install process.

Good luck!

Joe Flake
HP Atlanta