spit. 1500 valve seats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spit. 1500 valve seats
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:30:34
Hi all,

I just spent last week overhauling the cylinder head on my spit.
1500.  The exhaust valve seats seemed to be pretty badly pitted and
no amount of grinding in with the coarse grinding paste would take it
out. My question is how can I tell if the valve seats can simply be
recut at an engineering shop (which seems quite cheap), or whether
the valves have "receded into the head" and need inserts (which are
expensive). Do the valve heads actually end up below the level of the
combustion chamber, or what?  I'm just not quite sure what I'm
looking for here.

Many thanks,
Jonathan '77 spit. 1500

Dr J.E.Miles