RHD conversion

To: ROBINSDA@slsmtp.mcclellan.af.mil
Subject: RHD conversion
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:25:32 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
hi

Dave Robinson (ROBINSDA@slsmtp.mcclellan.af.mil) asks about
converting a LHD TR6 to RHD.
I had a friend of mine convert my TR4 to RHD. The answer is that it
is all "do-able", but a few parts are a bit tricky. For some reason
that now escapes me, the TR6 is a bit harder.

Off the top of my head - for TR4 conversion you need to: cut holes for
steering, clutch & brake pedals, weld up captive nuts for securing
clutch & brake masters, make up new throttle linkage, re-plumb
clutch & brake masters, fit RHD dash,stretch old wiring loom about
(it will just about work), fit RHD steering rack. The price of trim parts
will astound you.

I had a TR4A RHD dash, bought at huge expense when they were NLA,
now they are available for about half what I paid! I'm told that
with careful cutting & brazing it is possible to convert a LHD
dash to RHD by switching the panels about.

Getting my car apart was pretty easy & fairly quick. Once the dash
& steering were off it was a case of just working through the above list.
It took my friend 2 or 3 weeks working the weekends and a few evenings.

--

Regards, Adrian + RHD TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk