4 Trade - Spit Top

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 4 Trade - Spit Top
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 12:04:49 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

Okay, not to beat a dead horse too much, but after all of the
clarification (thanks, Andy  -  no really I mean it), it appears
that the two tops I have are from an early Mk III.  They have the
two hoops over the middle, and the windscreen mount consists of
the two chrome handles that rotate with little locking pins which
engage in the top of the windscreen frame.  As I mentioned before,
one of the frames had the rear hoop cut out partly in the middle,
apparently to clear a roll bar (at least that's my guess), and it
appears the roll bar would then substitute as the support for the
trailing high end of the top.  Both in good condition (no rust,
need a little paint and cleaning).  So, any takers?  Please e-mail
or call me daytime (213) 742-4756 or evenings (714) 557-0479.

BTW, Andy, I did find the two small hooks on either side of the
windshield pillars, so assuming I can find the right sticks and
then a new top, she'll be as good as original.  I am interested in
the description of how the rear panel comes off for storage of the
top.  As I mentioned, my Spit was bought through a friend after a
5 minute inspection.  The DPO had done an interior make over years
ago with red and white (YECH!) vinyl, and the rear cover panel was
simply screwed to the body just below the gas cap mounting panel
where there is a flange that bends down into the interior.  From
the sound of your earlier e-mail, I get the impression that once
you fold the sticks and you end up with a bulky "U" shaped
package, you then remove the panel and the top is inserted with
the points(?) of the "U" facing the rear(?) of the car, snug up
against the gas tank?  I did notice during the tear down of the
interior that there appears to be a large gap on either side of
the gas tank in the body panels and I was wondering why Triumph
didn't cover it with a panel to make it quieter.  Do I have the
stowage description right or .  .  .  .?  Thanks again.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)