Piston size, bore size, Spitfire Mk3/4

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Piston size, bore size, Spitfire Mk3/4
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 10:20:11 -0600
Help!

I have my Spitfire 1296cc engine apart, and I'm taking it to the machine
shop this afternoon. I'm going .020 over on the cylinders, but where I'm
confused is .020 over WHAT?

The Bentley manual shows two different bore sizes, one for a type F piston
and one for a type G piston. Both of these are smaller than the bore size
given in the VB catalog, which says it's 2.902".

Should I not have the cylinders bored out until I have the new pistons in
hand, so the shop can mic them and bore the engine out accordingly?

I also discovered that the cam lobes were scuffed, even badly scratched.
Can the machine shop fix this or do I have to buy a new camshaft?

Thanks,

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com