carpet removal...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: carpet removal...
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 11:37:36 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

On Fri.,  Jon Moody wrote:       The previous owner of my car used
some sort of spray adhesive to  keep the carpets in place.  The
floor panel on the driver side is  now rusted out and I need to
institute a temporary fix(The $$$  for new floor pans and welding
isn't there right now) of sheet  metal, rivets and roofing cement.
 I would like to reuse my  carpets.  In most cases is the carpet
reusable after removing it  when it is put on with an adhesive or
am I hopin' for the  impossible?

***************************************

Jon, I just pulled the interior out of my 64 Spit and the DPO did
the same thing, using adhesive to hold the carpet (over a heat
insulation blanket) to the floor pan.  If the carpet was glued
directly to the floor pan, you may have problems, because it tends
to stretch and tear as you pull it away from the adhesive.

OTOH, if the DPO used some type of insulating pad under the carpet
first, (as in my case), the carpet came out okay actually, and the
padding was pretty trashed.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)