Re: Herald questions

To: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Subject: Re: Herald questions
From: "A.N.Clark" <afu058@bangor.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:26:44 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, John Matthews wrote:

> I have a 1961 triumph herald, and I have two questions.
>
> 1. Does anyone else out there have one of these cars?
>
> 2. Mine is the saloon model, I've removed the hard top and am now
>
> looking for a convertible frame or fiberglass top. Any leads?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Matthews
> '61 Herald

John,
As a Vitesse owner (same body as your Herald, bar the bonnet) I can tell
you that you won't be able to get the soft top and frame from a
comvertible to slot onto your saloon - the whole rear body section is
different. However, there is an ugly compromise made in the UK by
Triumphscene called the Tristan, which bolts straight onto a saloon body.
It is nowhere near as neat as the proper thing, though, as the hood
doesn't fold away out of sight and you're left with a naff Stag-style
'T-bar' with the hood down. I don't think there are any fibreglass
tops avalailable to fit saloons - what would be the point since you
already have a steel roof anyway? The only alternative roofs are the
coupe roof (very rare and requires the right rear body section, like
the convertible) and aftermarket fibreglass convertible hardtops,
which are, I believe, available new here.Heralds and Vitesses are
quite commonplace in the UK but evidently were always a rarity in the States.
hope this info is of use,
Andrew