Re: TR3's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, BThorsen@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3's
From: "Kurt Oblinger" <Kurt_Oblinger_at_AWP450@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 18:04:24 EST
>This is a first-time note to the TRiumphs list, but for a reason.  I have
>been reading the fantastic "stuff" on this board for some time now.  I have
>also been looking to buy a TR3 so that this gray hair can get some air.

>I read, with fascination, all of the threads dealing with repair, etc. for
>TR6's but find very few "help" statements about TR3's.

>Have they all been "fixed" to the point of eternal functioning without
>problems?  Are TR3 owners going somewhere else?  Or, should I join the crowd
>and get a TR6?

>Just wondering about that situation now that the weather is turning and
>everyone, but me so far, will be driving.

>Thanks for setting me straight about my perception of the absence of TR3
>stuff.
>BTW, I will post a big "hooray" when I find the "right one".

>By
>??-TR3

We're out here alright. Maybe its just that our old 3's don't break as much as
those new-fangled 6 cylinder cars (he says tongue in cheek as he dives under the
desk!) Of course I should talk as my '57 3 is in many pieces in the garage and
my TR7 is outside in the parking lot. As for availability, there are still some
good cars out there. I met a fellow at a swap meet 2 weeks ago who had bought 2
TR3A's in the last 3 mos. One was a runner and one needs work but it doesn't
sound like much. He didn't quote exact prices but I think both cars were under
$4000 each. As for the prices being high, the market sets the price, not the
seller. Two very nice cars were recently sold by our club members, a longdoor
TR2 which was a very nicely done owner restoration went $16,500 and a nice one
owner TR3A which had been restored some years ago but was well maintained went
for $14,000. Both cars were sold to Europe. If you think prices here are high,
look at what they go for in th U.K.

There are still some good cars out there at reasonable prices. However, you
could probably find a much better TR4 or TR6 for the same money. So it may be a
question of what you really want. But patience is the key.

Here's an insider tip! One of the best ways to find a car is to join the local
Triumph Club. Those guys probably know of some cars that could be bought that
are not advertised. I found 3 of my Triumphs through our club and they were all
good deals! If you post your Geographic location I'm sure someone on the list
can point to a club in your area.

I think the reason for the seeming abundance of traffic on the list about 6's
and Spitfires is that both of these cars can be found in reasonable shape at a
reasonable price and a lot of first time car hobbyists are getting them. They
are simple, fun and stylish. They can be worked on with average hand tools and
by people of average mechanical ability. This list is just a big "helpline"
for many people.

Hope this helps and keep looking!

Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.